Avocados are a big deal—and they’re delicious! We pulled together a few facts about the famed “alligator pear” to celebrate National Guacamole Day!
- Avocados are actually classified as a fruit and are part of the Lauraceae family. (Source)
- Transporting avocados requires a temperature of 40-55 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid damage. (Source)
- Consumption of avocados has risen 3x since 2001. (Source)
- More than 2.6 billion pounds were consumed in 2020. (Source)
- Hass avocados reached record sales in Q1 of 2021 with retail sales at $144 million. (Source)
- Americans went from eating 2.21 pounds of avocados per capita in 2000 to nearly 8 pounds per capita in 2019. (Source)
Avocados about to go bad? There's no need to let them go to waste! Simply mash the avocado with lime juice and freeze in a plastic bag with all air removed. Thaw in the fridge overnight and use for dishes like guacamole or creamy avocado dip.
Want to help reduce food waste? Join our team!